Match Frame

Thoughts from an American editor and filmmaker in New Zealand about film and video production and post-production. Plus whatever else I feel like talking about.

Name:
Location: Balmoral, Auckland, New Zealand

A work in progress.

Sunday, August 13, 2006

are you there, blog? It's me, Margaret.

(apologies for the Judy Blume reference.)

Sorry to be out of touch. Still figuring out where I want to go with this blog, and got really busy with work and the film festival. But the film festival is over, and work is over shortly as well - last day's in two weeks. Time to start hunting something else.

Will try to type up a festival summary soon, for my own personal memories if nothing else. Short version: see LONGING, 12:08 EAST OF BUCHAREST, THE SCIENCE OF SLEEP, and THE HOST if it is at all within your power.

Also finished watching WONDERFALLS, which is a great little TV series that got cancelled before its time. It might be a wee bit too self-consciously quirky for some, but I loved it. I also fell in love with some of the editing techniques, and managed to figure out how to do some of them, so look for some interesting split-screen action coming to the small screen soon (unless it gets cut between then and now). It turned out to be easier than I thought when I discovered the previously-unused (by me) "Border" control in Avid's picture-in-picture, which allowed me to easily bring in images with black lines on the edges that could then wipe up/down/sideways/whatever. Right now, I don't think anything satisfies me more in editing than playing with picture-in-picture - perhaps it's a unconscious desire to control the image composition, which you have (mostly) no control over otherwise as an editor.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home