Match Frame

Thoughts from an American editor and filmmaker in New Zealand about film and video production and post-production. Plus whatever else I feel like talking about.

Name:
Location: Balmoral, Auckland, New Zealand

A work in progress.

Saturday, November 04, 2006

words for the ages

From IMDB's SAW III page, the Quotes section begins thus:

"Where are you going! Help! You cant leave me here!"

Um ... yeah. "Here's looking at you, kid." "One word: Plastics." "Where are you going! Help! You cant leave me here!" Do I need to go on? Do I need to explain that a quote is something that, say, is quotable? Memorable? Not used in about two hundred other movies prior?

With any luck, I will not be deliberately not seeing SAW III shortly. I realize that's a confusing sentence, but let me explain. For the last two years, the Movie Marathon has shown SAW movies. The first year I didn't go; the second year I left the theater when it started. It's not just the gruesomeness; it's the unnerving glee with which these films seemed to be embraced as mainstream entertainment, when they appear to be (from what I've read) excuses for endless onscreen torture. (See also: HOSTEL.) I don't want those images in my skull, I don't want my stomach churning, and so I sit outside if it comes on.

Anyway, this year, hopefully it's a moot point, as they've promised to only show old school movies. But at the same time, there is always some surprise, last minute change. Last year we were informed beforehand we wouldn't be getting SAW II for instance, which relieved me ... until, well, they started playing SAW II.

So yes: with any luck, I will not be deliberately not seeing SAW III shortly, but will instead be watching 24 hours of other mindwarping material, hopefully lighter on the "torture" side of things. But we shall see.

I will report back when I gain the ability to form sentences. Maybe Thursday.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home