Match Frame

Thoughts from an American editor and filmmaker in New Zealand about film and video production and post-production. Plus whatever else I feel like talking about.

Name:
Location: Balmoral, Auckland, New Zealand

A work in progress.

Tuesday, March 04, 2008

converting YouTube stuff to usable video for Macs.

I'm going to start keeping track of things here whenever I figure something out, as I realize I'll figure out something, think I'll remember forever, then forget six months later.

Today I needed to download a YouTube video to use in a temp edit. I knew that Download Helper, a Firefox plug-in, would save YouTube videos; however, it saves them in the highly useless-for-digital-video-editing .flv format.

So! Part 2: get a converter for .flv to a usable format. In this case, I found iSquint, which can convert to AVIs or QuickTime movies. Both very usable! And it's super intuitive. And free! If it weren't overburdened with desperate pleas for using its pay cousin, it would be my favorite app ever!

(Well, probably not, but it's still cool.)

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Alastair Jamieson said...

Or even easier is to take it off Youtube as an mp4 in the first place. Most Videos on Youtube are now also hosted as QT mp4's. QTYouTube is a bookmarklet for Firefox that displays the video in an embedded Quicktime player. You can then save the video directly to your hard drive as an mp4.

13/11/08 9:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home