Match Frame

Thoughts from an American editor and filmmaker in New Zealand about film and video production and post-production. Plus whatever else I feel like talking about.

Name:
Location: Balmoral, Auckland, New Zealand

A work in progress.

Sunday, September 16, 2007

welcome to paradise!

Where the streets are safe and the speech is free!

Oh, wait.

The former story speaks for itself, I suppose, other than to say Remuera and Herne Bay are relatively nice areas - this is roughly equivalent to the story taking place in Hillsboro or West Bloomfield, for Portlanders or Detroiters.

As to the latter: while the idea of the American system, where a parent can take her four-year old to see HOSTEL: PART II bothers me, the Kiwi system where a film can't even be released, even if it's age-restricted to those over the age of 18 (and a test screening shows the majority are in favor of it being released), is even more disturbing.

And this is someone who is basically against the HOSTEL movies and thinks that, all things considered, the world would be better if they hadn't been made. (To be fair, this is completely uninformed as I haven't seen them; however, everything I've read about them persuades me that it's cheap provocative bullshit designed to pander to those who get off on massive brutality. And I say this as someone who actually mostly liked Eli Roth's first film, CABIN FEVER.)

But I am basically pro-free speech, and there's no guarantee the next banned film won't be something that I do value.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home