Match Frame

Thoughts from an American editor and filmmaker in New Zealand about film and video production and post-production. Plus whatever else I feel like talking about.

Name:
Location: Balmoral, Auckland, New Zealand

A work in progress.

Monday, January 08, 2007

well, isn't that special.

I've been operating under the assumption that, to get my NZ citizenship, I'd have to wait three years from my residency date, and spend at least half the year in NZ each of those years.

Today, I decided to check that assumption, and discovered - thanks to a policy change made since the time I originally investigated the issue - that I'm grossly mistaken.

In fact, I have to wait five years, and spend at least 240 days a year for five years in NZ, and 1350 days overall (i.e. if I spent only 240 days overall each year, I'd be 150 days short of the legal requirement). (You can check both the old requirements and new requirements here, should you have an overpowering passion for reading bureaucratese. It turns out I was slightly mistaken on my initial conception prior to the policy change, but that's moot.)

This becomes an issue if I want to do, well, anything overseas, be it work on a project in the States for a bit or just a lengthy jaunt.

I'm not sure how this will change my plans yet (so don't ask), but it definitely undermines the reasoning behind my current plan.

Also: the New Zealand Department of Internal Affairs uses Lotus Domino for its website! Who knew?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home